20171121_153341.jpg

Yes, my hair is purple. Yes, it's rather vibrant. Yes, it's even brighter in natural light. And yes, it probably glows under a black light...though I have sadly not been able to absolutely confirm that last one.

When I agreed to dye my hair the extravagant color purple with my friend, two things were happening: 1) I had already consumed enough wine to lower my inhibitions toward the idea considerably, and 2) we agreed on a very mild, pastel/grayish purple that was really mellow. 

After 2+ hours in the hair salon a couple of Tuesdays ago, what we walked out with was anything but mellow. I remember the first words that I could think of to describe the color was "electric". And although I personally really liked it, I'd be lying if I said I didn't instantly regret not telling anyone other than my husband, sister, and the friend who went with me, because looking at the color I realized it was going to be a lot for anyone to take in...

A few days after making the transition to purple hair, I was reading an article that was basically "things you should know before dying your hair a vibrant color" and the author suggested that for first-timers, it might be worth only dying a portion of your hair, like peek-a-boo strips to make sure you like the color before fully committing. I had to laugh at myself, because I guess I missed that memo :p 

Now, you should know that about 70% of people's comments make me never want to have "normal" hair again, while the other 30% make me want to crawl into a hole and hide from the world forever...mostly because I am an introvert who doesn't particularly like being the center of attention (that's an understatement actually), and I definitely don't like to be the recipient of even mild disapproval. If there were one thing I could change about myself, it would be that...but somehow, I still get that little twinge of self-doubt when someone doesn't outright approve of my decisions. Lame, I know.

If you asked me what are my top two values, I'd answer with no hesitation: honesty and positivity. Honesty - because I spent too much time lying to people earlier in my life and I never want to do that again. It broke my relationships and leveled my self-worth to the ground. Positivity - not in the let's-be-perky-cheery-all-the-time-way, but more in the sense that there are a lot of things that happen in life that aren't worth the effort of letting impact me negatively. I'd rather pick my battles very carefully than let negativity seep in. 

And as strange as it is, my purple hair has me dwelling on these things a little more. Because honestly, I'm a little worried that for some, it will reduce their opinion of me. But the positivity in me also tells me that I don't need to worry about the opinion of others.  Those aren't the opinions that I need to give weight to. 

After Carlee and I finished the process of dying our hair, I told her, more or less, that the only thing to do now was to rock it with confidence! And that's what I am going to do! (I've already had quite a lot of fun dressing it up, trying out different makeup styles, and pairing it with a variety of colorful clothes :p) Because my honest and positive self wouldn't have it any other way! 

And that wraps up some strange pre-Thanksgiving musings for you :p 

 

Comment